Who Owns the World: The Hidden Facts Behind Landownership
Who Owns the World is the first ever compilation of landowners and landownership structures in every single one of the world's 197 states and 66 territories. It covers the history of landownership as far as written history will allow and shows the division of landownership in every region of the globe.
Packed with revelatory information, the book:
- identifies the person who owns the largest proportion of the world's land and documents that person's landholdings;
- provides details of the next 25 top landowners;
- reveals that aristocratic families own over 60 per cent of Europe's land mass and receive most of the EC's agricultural subsidy allowance;
- documents the vast landholdings of the four largest religious groups: the Catholic Church and the other Christian churches, the Islamic trusts, and the temple possessions of the Hindus and Buddhists;
- details the landownership structure of all the countries of the British Commonwealth;
- contains a complete survey of the historic record of landownership, starting in Mesopotamia/Iraq in 8000 BC;
- lists many of the world's great Domesdays, going back to the earliest, in Ptolemaic Egypt;
- includes an analysis of the legal structures that have reduced 85 per cent of the earth's population to serfdom.
This is a breath-taking tome of huge political, economic and social importance. It will revolutionise our understanding of our planet, its history and its land.
Condition: Very Good. A book that has been read but is in very good condition. The book cover has no visible wear. No highlighting of text, no writing in the margins, and no missing pages.
Author: Kevin Cahill